Friday, April 19, 2013

just a bit of silly

I have to go to the DMV twice this week.  No, don’t bother to clean your glasses, it’s true.  And both times I have to wake up early. and I won’t lie.  It hurts.  And not the good kind of hurt. Just the ouch ouch it’s too early ouchhh kind.

But enough of the pity party. There will be more time for that later. Maybe when I’m better rested (see how i snuck one more in? i’m buttah baby. smooothe operator...?).  

So, I go to the DMV on Tuesday morn.  I start out in D.C.  I pass through MD, wondering briefly why they have their governors name on their little “Welcome to Maryland” sign, thought maybe it’s because Maryland is pretty lame, agreed with my idea, and then I left Maryland with little to no remorse.  I was greeted by Virginia’s much better looking, larger, and governor-name-free welcome sign, breathed a sigh of relief, and thought about the weirdness of driving through 3 different states in the span of 30 minutes.  To be fair though, D.C. isn’t a state.  We are a district a la the hunger games.  Sometimes, when I think I’m clever, I call D.C. district twelve to myself.  Ironically, we are also the Capitol so...paradox.

This is going nowhere fast, and it ends nowhere, aka the DMV.  

Disclamar:  Though this post may sound like one long whine, I actually like the DMV.  It’s like the airport.  You are at a place with droves of other humans waiting to go through a line, and for most of it (after the blam blam fill out the forms ma’am--the downside of anything, really, are the forms you have to fill out) you can just relax, read a book, watch an ipad video about cars (so says the guy that sat near me at the DMV a year or so ago) and just be.  You have to be there until you’re number is called and you hope on a wing and a prayer that somehow, miraculously, you will have all the documentation required to become a cog in the system.  But for that period of immobility between forms and cogs, you have the glory of nothing to do but chill.  I am a pro-chiller.  Trust me, I have the flamingo t-shirt to prove it.  

the raddest shirt I have ever owned

And this is just one of those times when you can chill out while actually getting something horribly mundane and inconvenient over with.  

So, I get to the VA DMV...oh wait, why was I at the VA DMV you may wonder? it’s because I pulled an Elisa and lost my car title.  You can’t become a legal cog in D.C. driving world unless you have a car title to wave in front of them that proves things unknown to common man.  So, this was step 9 out of 10 (no whammies no whammies) to getting this done.  Let’s be honest, this should have been done many moons ago and I have about 8 tickets to back me up.  What can I say, I live on the edge of procrastinating to the point of stupidity and sheer money throw awaying.  I could go on about how much I hate parking and driving in D.C., and throw in a few slams on bureaucracy (I had to look that word up 4 times to spell it correctly. Who do the word maker uppers think they are?) for good measure, but hate is such an ugly word and slams are so 2012, and besides, I like pretty things.  So off with your ugly head, city parking!

So, long story made longer by unnecessary tangents, I did the VA DMV and I did it right.  Anne Shirley, of course, was my entertainment of choice and she never disappoints.  Except Anne of Avonlea is a tad boring, and so is anything after the House of Dreams.  But how was she supposed to top the House of Dreams? It would be silly to try.  

Miracle of Miracles, I had all of the prop docs (Praise the Risen Lord!).
I drove back to district 12 (clever points!) pleased as punch with my bad title-holding self, belted some complicated alongside radio Avril Lavigne (wondered why they all of the sudden start playing that song again? another mystery to solve for another day), and called it a wrap straight up movie making style.  

And couldn’t you see someone making a movie out of this saga???

(I hope the answer is no).  

Don’t you dare touch that little x.  This saga will continue...
Spoiler alert: Part 2 is where I go on a Saturday morning to the DMV and see if I can become an official cog in the system. Prayers welcome.

P.S. Does anyone else want to do the hand jive with Friday out of sheer joy for the weekend?!?


 

1 comment:

  1. 1. This is brilliant.
    2. Is your post title a veiled reference to Finding Neverland?
    3. Is your post title an UNveiled reference to Finding Neverland?
    4. I love that you call DC "District 12" to yourself.
    5. But not as much as I LOVE YOU!
    (See how I snuck that in there? Smooth as coconut oiiiiilllllllllll)

    ReplyDelete