Thursday, April 11, 2013

little did she know...in the big city edition (because you gotta start somewhere)


*let it be known that I want some beach. hence the new up top high five photo.

It seems my inspiration to write or blog comes from a Providential concoction (there are an unreasonable number of Cs in that word) of weather mixed with reading something that makes me laugh or makes me want to write about a whole lot of nothing.  Because these blogs that I read often take a whole lot of normal and shine light on it.  and light transforms everything. i am obsessed with it.  and I see this kind of writing as an art form.   and with this particular brand of artishness, you take a whole lot of nothing specials, and put them together to create something new and, hopefully, beautiful.  Or at least funny (which to me is beautiful).  and I am in the mood to throw some ordinary colors onto this canvas and see what comes of it.  I hope it’s beautiful...or at least entertaining.   




So i’ll start with this: I live in the city. WTHooplah?? So weird, right? Because all my little life i’ve been all “ew, gross, you would never catch me living in a big city. ever.
because ew.  too many humans, too little space for them
and dirt and rats and stuff...”.


And then God’s all: “Oh, little do you know, little knower”.  And one thing leads to another, and I live in the citayyy.  and I’m all “I sort of don’t hate this. At all.
Jiggawhattt?l (sorry for excessive lettering. sometimes it just feels right)”.  


Go figure.  


Don’t get me wrong,  my heart longs for the wide open spaces of Texas, the country, the skyline free of anything but sky, starry nights, the sound of the wind as it whispers through the trees.  That is still my main jam and always will be.  God’s creation, wild and free.






Yeah. Texas rules. 

 


And of course, I miss the Momma and the Papa like whooaaaa. That is the greatest sadness by far of living in D.C.




HE IS RISEN!!!! ALLELUIA!!!!!!!!!!!!
 I LOVE EASTER
and My Parents
and Texas
Can you feel the love.  It runneth over. 
But there is something about living in the city that has grown on me.  Something about walking down the street to my friend’s house or to the amazing pizza restaurant next door to me, or you know, the Church where Jesus lives in the Eucharist.  All seriously 7 minutes or under.  

aforementioned Church--the Shrine of the Sacred Heart.  And yes, since you asked, the Masses I attend there 98% of el tiempo en espanol.  When in Columbia Heights do as the Latinos do...
The social life is unbeatable (next to living with and next door to all of your friends in college)







the Spiritual life is so unbelievably blessed by the dozen amazing churches in a 10 mile radius with almost always a wonderful homily and a priest to bombard with random confession requests (yeah, I’m one of those).  

My gym (sup. I work out. nbd.), btw, is next door to what I consider my parish (the Cathedral of St. Matthew).


 It’s just starting to get a little ridiculous with the pros here.  

I am mildly (read extremely) obsessed with this depiction of Mary and Joseph's wedding at St. Matthew's. So soo good.

Sure I complain.  I complain about the parking mostly and the tickets (boooooo d.c. parking two thumbs very enthusiastically down) and the distance from here to VA.  I complain about the winter (because duh).  But that’s because I am sort of a whiner sometimes.  The good? It most assuredly outweighs the negatives.  

Snacking on my Peaches because they are so dadgum sweet and delicious

And yeah, I’m eating some humble pie for all of those times I dissed pretty much everything about cities.  And said I would nevah live in one. As in never. But this humble pie tastes kind of good. In fact, I just washed it down with a glass of beer with my friend who lives 2 seconds from me.  In the citaaayy.  I love saying city like that.    

photo not taken in the citayyy, but it seemed appropriate because it's amazing.

As far as cities go, I dig D.C.  It’s pretty.

No really, it is. See:










And, the grandest of grand and the bonuses of bonuseses: It has a lot of people I love in and nearby it (shout Lianna and Ed, the Peaches (my nieces), friends in VA (Mosses, Nicos etc)). 


the googliest cuteness I ever did see


sweet Goddaughter lovins








that's mah Goddaughter.


that's my birthday Bro.  Happy 24th Birthday, Bubs!!! 24 never looked so fly

a rare candid moment with the Evangelista. If you don't read her blog you darn well should be. Trust me, it's for your own good.



Thus ends my first in-writing ramble in a long while.  Darn tootin. 
That seemed like a good way to wrap it up.  


Hold the pickles.

I thought of an even a million times better wrap up.  

In the immortal words of Dr. Laura Schlessinger (1-800-d-r-l-a-u-r-a): 



Now go take on the day.




1 comment:

  1. LOVE that you posted - such a sweet friday treat! and i LOVE that you kinda/sorta/maybe/just might/probably like the city. as one who has lived in "the city," i must say, DC is not quite as congested as the (sometimes) claustrophobic streets of NY and actually pretty cool. i kinda like it myself...if only it wasn't so darn cold. anywhoozles, love you tons, love the pics, and love love. now go take on the day! (listened to that every.single.day that my mom picked us up from school)

    ReplyDelete