Tuesday, April 23, 2013

night and day


be prepared for a ramble of sorts:

I’m what my momma calls a night owl.  I’m sure my mom is not the only one who calls my sort that, but mom gets all the cred because, obvs.


As things go, I was thinking about how poor my relaxing skillzz (i hate it when people add zs where sses should be, so I do it in protest) I have become.  Maybe the city is seeping into my brain and trying to take it over, or maybe it’s just the waxing moon...one can never be sure which is to blame. I'll blame both so my bases are covered.

And then, here I am and it’s almost bed time.  I like the night time (see aforementioned mom comment).  I realized that a big part of why I like the night time is because I find that it demands so much less from me than the other parts of the day.  I’m talking the almost bed time night time. See sophisticated analysis of theory below: 




A.
Morning time greets me with the audacious demand to: Wake up!  

The gaul!

This demand has been one of my most difficult to square with pretty much as long as I can remember. In my salad days of St. Louis grade school, I would sleep in my uniform shirt and the shorts I would wear underneath the scratchy plaid skirt for the dual purpose of modesty (sometimes you need to hang upside down from the monkey bars and wearing shorts under the uniform allows such needs to be met) and gym class. I did this to shave off the 2 minutes of getting ready time, thus adding 2 bonus minutes of sleep. So there you have it.

DMV parking lot to illustrate my point about day time demands...
2. Day time (don’t get me wrong, I like the sunshine and the other charmings that belong to the day, but I mean...): It says get dressed! BAH!  Go do some things!  Be a productive member of society! (all valid demands that I embrace with all the strength my pitiful human laziness can muster, but demands they remain)

dusky goodness

D. Dusk time: Well, I love dusk. Lighting wise especially makes dusk my soul mate. But it still demands: Cook! Exercise! Shower! Pay for bills!  Do other productive non-work related activities!

V. Pre-Bed time:  Ahhhhh. After the demand of: Brush your teeth! (yes, I consider that a demand) It softens its voice and ceases with demands.
Instead, it encourages me to get as flannely and ugly elephant ear colored sweatery as I want.  It says don’t you do another thing until you put your gigantic purple sneaker slippers on.  Who can get anything done without toasty tootsies in the night? A ridiculous thought to try!  

if you come to my house any time past 8:00 you will most likely find me in this get up of sweet sweet coziness 
It says get into as pretzely a position on the squashed red arm chair with one of my fave mugs (I have a few i'll tell-you-ree [Mimi-ism]) full of steamy milk (Mimi-ism numero dos), and, if I am so moved, to type about how great all of these things are. Other options include: pray or read or view a major or minor motion picture (made for tv movies are often my jam). Or stare at my rainbow color coded book shelf (cool points for that move go to the roomie) and appreciate its' brilliance. 


In short, it understands my needy needs.  To rest, to unwind, to wear clothes that do nothing but comfort my body.  God made bed time just for me.  And you, too.

So here’s to crescent moons, pajamas (Oh pajamas, how I love thee. Pajamas deserve their own post), steamy creamy milk, squashy chairs, and mattresses beckoning sweetly from the adjacent room.  Mostly though, here’s to Life.  Because all of it is made to get us to Heaven.  The demands become opportunities to glorify God (even when you are brushing your teeth! Miraculous! And waking up! Woohoo!).  the Goodness of the Lord really doesn’t quit, does it?

photo taken by the Papa in the ATX
Nope.  

So Le Chaim!  And good night.  I’m off to dream a poem about pajamas to torture Bubba with later (love you, Bubby!). And probably watch a minor motion picture.



2 comments:

  1. This post screams my name! :D LOVE it and I love YOU!!!! Xoxoxoxo, shella bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) i, too, used to sleep in my school uniform in order to savor the extra 30 seconds of sweet sleep time
    2) brushing the teeth is absolutely a demand
    c) i hope you chose "12 dates of Christmas" as your minor motion picture du jour
    4) only you (and mimi) would select warm milk as their nightcap
    5) i LOVE you and MISS you (and those rad purplicious giant sneaker slippers)

    ReplyDelete