Wednesday, May 22, 2013

28

I used to be a card carrying birthday disser.  Playing it cool, telling people not to make a fuss.  Of course all of that was bologna. I always wanted a fuss, but didn’t want to admit it.  Because that would prove I am human and vulnerable and need people to love me and care about celebrating my life.


Anyway, I played it off like whatever man, who needs birthdays.

Trick question. EVERYONE NEEDS BIRTHDAYS. ALL CAPS PROVES IT.


The rip tear jam special of a birthday China and Bubs put on for me last year, coupled with a whole host of grace outpourings from Heaven into my entire being, has brought me to this new and wonderful land of being totally all about my birthday.  All about it baby.  I am obsessed.  Birthday land rules, and I never plan to leave.  I love balloons too much to ever go back.  




Man, I love balloons. 




We all get one day a year to ourselves to celebrate doing nothing but existing. And to this I say Right On! Own that day and extend it into a week.  Milk it and then milk it a little more




.    
Here’s the thing that’s so great:  I didn’t create myself, birth myself (Go Momma! This day should be yours even more so than mine), or nurture, protect and rear myself.  I did nothing but exist by the grace of God on that day of destiny 28 years ago when my lungs were pierced with their first shocking sips of cold outside air, my eyes were blinded by the dim hospital room lights, and my Momma and Dad soothed me with the warmth of their embrace and the familiarity of their voices welcoming me to life and to their hearts.  


I like to imagine it was a perfect Texas late Spring day blooming with golden sunshine, blue bonnets bobbing along the highway with the warm breezes that made the trees whisper happy birthdays to me.



Whatever kind of day it was, I know it was beautiful.  Any day a baby is born is beautiful.  God created me from nothing, gave me an immortal soul, placed me in the loving arms of my parents and family, and has only had one desire since He brought me into existence: 

To be with Him for eternity.  

Now if that isn’t something to celebrate, then slap my knee and call me ruby.  




Thus I would like to take this opportunity to share, in some particular order but mostly not, 28 things I have learned about life in honor of my 28 years of breathing this planet’s sweet air. 

28.  Some things are not worth the generic price.  These things include (but are not limited to) toilet paper, dental floss, and Oreos.  You will chafe and or use half the roll each time because it’s so thin, your flosser thing will break, and ew.  




27. Be as dorktastic as you want and move on with it. Hatahs gonna hate either way. Whale on a recorder in a lime green outfit and do it with all your might.




26.  Mocassins and flannel will always be cool to me.  Even when the trendsters have long abandoned them for new hip things, I shall remain ever true.

 
25.  Milkshakes are the business of being delicious.  Always always extra oreos on the side.  If they mix in your extra oreos order, you will be absolutely gypped.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  


24.  The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies.  I say Fraulein Maria’s answer to Mother Superiors question “What is the most important lesson you have learned here?” to myself all of the time to remind said self of what it is that I’m here for:




“To find out what is the will of God and do it wholeheartedly”



Darn skippy, Fraulein.

Now this I can dig
23.  Life improves a lot when you start living it.  



Are you inspired yet? I feel that the obvious lessons are often the most difficult to learn so don’t be surprised if “breathing is good for you” ends up on the list.

22.  Happiness is not, I repeat NOT, the enemy.  More to come on this shocking turn table. 



21.  Laughing is one of the top 5 essentials in life.  It’s tied with food and shelter.












20.  Spring and Summer are a billion% better than Winter.  


19.  Dancing on stage really IS as fun more fun than it looks and sounds.  I find that to be a somewhat rare quality in an experience. Paris also lives up to the hype.  





18.  You can find the entire script of the Sound of Music on the internet.  The internet does a whole mess of things wrong, but they got it right somewhere.  

17.  Mom has been right about pretty much the whole shebang. Like freezing things is brilliant and also, you will undergo the greatest changes (taste, personality etc.) in your twenties. Both of these things and so many others were bullseye on point correctamundo.  Listen to a Mom near you is my advice.




16.  I have the best Mom and Dad and sisters and bubba and brother-in-law and niecey pies in the entire world. Just sticking to the facts here.




















15.  The above goes for fousins and friends.  They are all top shelf.
































14. You can know you are beautiful and admit it without it being vain or braggy.  If anything it gives glory to God if you embrace it, because it is giving praise where praise is due.  Plus we are all made in His image and likeness and that’s all that matters.  We are all beautiful and completely unique while being so humanly similar in so many ways.  Oh the paradoxes of life, shall they ever cease to befuddle me?  




13.  My love for overly cheesy, romantic things has not faded (hello 12 dates of Christmas). I am guessing that train won’t ever leave the station.  

12.  People (read Elisa) who think they will never like certain things (read living in a citayyy) will usually (read definitely) end up eating a heaping slice of humble pie.

11.  Texas is still the best.  




Congrats if you have made it this far.

10.  I am usually wrong about most things and that is a 110% fine, because I serve the Truth and He knows enough for all of us.  I am so so glad I have been wrong about so many things I was convinced I was right about.  So glad.




9.  The sound of wind through the leaves is absolutely magical, romantic, and a balm to what ails me.  It’s God telling me He loves me, this sound.  Magnificent.

8.  All of creation is a constant hymn of praise to Him.




7.  I will probably never be a morning person, but I love the morning.  

6.  The best smells on earth are as follows:  Bacon, coffee, cookies and other such treats baking, homemade bread in the oven, and freshly laundered babies right out of the bath tub.



5.  I will never ever feel comfortable in business attire.  Ever.

4. I am a beggar before Christ, and am richer than the materially richest of humans on earth when I go empty handed to receive the Creator of the universe in the Eucharist.  



3.  Easter is so much better than Christmas. I know thems fighting words to a lot of y’all, but it’s my birthday so...yeah. I still love Christmas, though.  It saves the winter from being total disaster because Jesus is born and children squeal with delight and twinkle lights and gingerbread men.   




2.  I am so happy and grateful that I exist because Jesus has made it all so so so Good.
















1.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, will be impossible for God (Luke 1:27).  Miracles happen and this post is proof of that.



0.  All is Mercy.  All is to bring us to Him. God is Love and in Him there is no darkness at all.  Apart from the most Holy Trinity, happiness does not exist.



Whew. If you made it down here, mega props.  
Birthday Hype extravaganza is on the playlist for this weekend because YOT28O (crack that if you can). Which means (what else could it mean but) BOWLING(?)!

Cheers to all of you who have been instruments of the Lord and have made my life so darn beautiful.  The success of my existence is very much because of your love and prayers. 


Most especially thanks to my parents.  The ones who celebrated my original birthday 28 years ago today in a hospital room before anyone else knew me.  You have loved me so beautifully. I know God’s Love because of you.  Thank you for the love and suffering you have endured for my sake.  This day is to celebrate you, mom and dad.







And special shout out to my Momma who suffered a hoot and a holler more than anyone else in this birthday scenario 28 years ago to see me into the world safe and sound.  And has suffered and loved me and prayed for me so fiercely since she knew I existed (and even before, I am sure) I love you, my sweet momma. So much more than you will ever know. 







-1.  Birthdays rule.  Please love your birthday.  Even if you and birthdays haven’t always gotten along (believe me, I relate), you are SO worth celebrating.  You are entirely Loved and desired by Heaven and that’s enough to celebrate for eternity.  Which we will.  But let’s get started on earth.  We are made for joy.  Take it!



My motto for my 29th year:   

Take Joy.  


















Happy Birthday, to me.






 "Joy is a sign of grace.  One who is serene from the bottom of his heart, one who has suffered with out losing joy, is not far from the God of the Gospel, from the Spirit of God, who is the Spirit of eternal joy.” Joseph Ratzinger, The God of Jesus Christ

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday, fuzz. so glad you now agree that birthdays rule, because they totally do...not because we did anything, but because God created our life and that's worth celebrating! love all your 28 (29) lessons and say amen to all of them. LOVE YOU, BIRTHDAY GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

    ReplyDelete