Sunday, May 12, 2013

for the Momma (the Momma! Tradition!)

(I hope someone caught the fiddler on the roof thing going on in the post title...)

Last night, I was sniffing around the kitchen wondering what in tarnations I was going to do about dessert.  I poked around with all the enthusiasm I could muster in my unenthusiastic state of dessertlessness. The freezer was one of the usual suspects.  As I inspected the contents of said freezer, I happened upon 1 and a half frozen chocolate chip cranberry muffins.

Score! I thought to myself.  

As I got to work on the half muff I thought to myself how very like my Momma I am.  And then I was happier about that thought than I was about the muffin that birthed it.  



You see, my sweet momma brought those muffins with her from Austin about a month ago (my guess is they did some time in my Texas freezer before making their great journey to the East) and gave them to me.  

Feeling that it was not yet the right time in which to indulge in such indulgeries, I promptly answered the question WWMD? (what would momma do?) by putting them in the freezer and forgetting them completely.  

But that, my peeps, is what freezers are for.  They give your brain the luxury of forgetting the things you put in them and let you come back when you are ready to stumble upon them on a night of dessertless wanderings.  And give you ideas for a Mother’s day post to boot.

What does this all mean?  It means that Momma knows.  We gave her heckles for all the freezing of things she was wont to do when we were growing up, but I have discovered the virtues of the freezing of things and have since repented of my hecklish ways.  
So, using my human trademark move of deductive reasoning, I must posit that she probably has much wisdom about other things.  The freezer is just the tip of the iceberg (badumchshsh).


There came a point in my mid-early-twenties when I had an epiphany of sorts.  All of the sudden the idea that my parents might actually know a lot more than I do about life and such things began to bloom.  I realized that most of the things in life that I was experiencing were things they had already lived through and made it through with their joy and faith in tact. So maybe I should stop the “I know everything” conga line parading through my head for a hot second and listen to them.  They know a lot more than I do.   



This is Mother’s day and that is my motherly advice to you.  Mom’s know things, so listen to the wisdom of their life lived.

In other news, my Momma is the best.  She really really is.  She is beautiful inside and out, she plays, she loves, she experiences the same thrills as I do about God’s glorious creation.  She leads other people to Christ through her deep devotion and obedience to Him.  
When I call her in the middle of a Job-ish (pronounced jobe-ish) day at work and need her to tell me it’s going to be okay her prayers are there for me in an instant and Jesus comes to me right then and there through her great faith, her unfaltering love for our Lord and her unconditional love for me.  
And everything is okay.


I could go on, but I already sort of did in this post .
 Read all about it: the beauty of my Momma and for more check out this post courtesy of my sister aka China or the Evangelista.

And super mega biggest time bonus: we all share in the love of our Heavenly Mother.  Who is completely beautiful, and full of goodness and tenderness and great love for us.  



She loves us with her Son’s love.  She wraps us in her mantle and intercedes for us like any good mother does.  But she does it face to face with her Beloved Son.  
How generous our Lord is to give us a Heavenly Mother, so that even when our earthly mothers cannot be near, we always have Mary to hold us and tell us it’s all going to be okay. 


St. Anne (my patroness) with her little girl, preparing her to become the Mother of the Lord and our Mother
Happy Mother’s day, Mommacita! I love you and your beautiful, funny, playful, dancing, joyful, loving Jesus ways.  Thank you for all you have taught me about love and life and Jesus.  





And the art of freezing things.



The Most Important Person on earth is a mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral, a dwelling for an immortal soul. Even the angels have not been blessed with such a grace. They cannot share in God’s creative miracle to bring new saints to Heaven. Only a human mother can. Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature; God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation.
What on God’s good earth is more glorious than this: to be a mother?
 – Joseph Cardinal Mindzenty

Cheers to all mothers! I know so many beautiful ones.  Y'all are a wonderful gift to your children and to my life.  
And happy, happy Ascension.  Jesus is still with us in the Eucharist and waits patiently there for us to come to Him for everything we need.
"And behold, I am with you always, even until the end of the age" Matthew 28:20



No comments:

Post a Comment