Sunday, June 16, 2013

For the Pops supreme

When life becomes too busy to blog one must rely on outside forces to make it back behind the old blank google drive document canvas.  The force behind this post is a made up holiday that I think should be in the category of real holidays.  Unlike flag day and secretaries day, which???
(my definition of a made up holiday, by the dubs, is any holiday that did not originate from what the word holiday use to mean to the world: holy day).  

Of course all of this rambling is to say Happy Father’s day to my one and only daddy.  My sister publicly known as the Evangelista, privately known as China, China dolly cakes, Chinadollscandycornspaintedwoodentoys, Chinskis (this one is mostly in my mind and hardly/never verbalized), or Christina if you are feeling especially prosey that day (jk, China, the name Christina is poetry in motion), wrote a very right-on post for my dad that you can catch right hurrrr

But, as we all have a different relationship with the Pops, mine shall have a different flavor to it.  It will taste like anything but coconut, because Dad heartily dislikes the stuff.  

My dad.  He is humble, generous, extremely patient (hellloooooo, he had 3 very girly girls on his hands to raise--the man is Job at this point), peaceful, he does not take offense, he is kind, quick to forgive.  Plus he is funny and loves the stuffins out of our nieces which is so wonderful to behold.  






And no, I am not just looking at 1 Corinthians 13 for this stuff.  It just so happens that he fits St. Paul’s description of what love is like a glove.  

I learned how to roll with the punches from my dad, how to relax and enjoy the ride, how to give without counting the cost (I mean I have observed him doing this and the following things, but that’s not to say I have it down quite yet. I need a lot more practice.), how to be patient, to forgive, to let things go.  My dad and I share a very similar temperament and I have always felt a certain understanding of him from that.  We like relaxing, we enjoy a good milkshake, Latin hymns, beer, and a quiet ride in the car looking out the window to see what the Lord is up to out there.  




Dad loves me just as I am.  What else can I say that is a higher compliment?  For that is what Jesus does.  And I tell you what, that is not an easy task because I am hardly daisies and popcorn all of the time.  


He has led our family to the Eucharist alongside my mother for our entire lives, and that is the only other compliment worth having. How many dads, on their vacation to the Cayman Islands, would wake up at 6:00 every morning to take his wife, daughter and grandbaby to Mass every morning? Not many is the answer.  


He has done what a father is meant to do. He has led his wife and children towards Heaven, towards Jesus and the Sacraments.  He has kept a steady course and has taught us what love is.  It is sacrifice, self-gift, forgiveness, mercy, patience, kindness, generosity, and bearing all things.  And my dad, he never complains.  At least I can’t remember him complaining.  


I hope I become more like him every day.  

I am so so glad the Heavenly Father saw fit to give me to you, Dad.  Thank you for being who you are.  

I love you forever.


Happy Papa’s Day, Daddy.  

1 comment:

  1. love this post and i love my uncle Chris. totes agree with your sentiments. i will never forget all the boating outings, and subsequent boat breakdowns. his feathers were never ruffled. and yes, he has always been the most gracious and generous uncle to me.

    ReplyDelete